ARQUITECTUM, a company which organizes architecture competitions, is pleased to welcome the world's architects to the International Architecture Competition "MIAMI CIVIC CENTER", to be held between the months of January to June 2010 in website www.arquitectum.com
THE CHALLENGE Whether it is despite or thanks to Miami's vertiginous development, it never found its feographical center and urban gravitational center. Therefore, Miami is composed of strips, avenues, suburbs and a small and weak "business center" which give incidence to verticality, rather than the enjoyment of the horizontal urban space coincident with the Atlantic horizon. Miami is bridges and viaducts, highways and Malls, small neighborhoods adjacent to private housings. As Los Angeles urban model, Miami has never encountered a functional civic space within its self-proclaimed center, which allows people to enjoy the proper "place spirit".
For this reason, ARQUITECTUM and A Chapter of the American Institute of Architects (AIA Miami) have decided to choose a troubled spot with huge potential, where the future of the human urban space will be debated, with a pedestrian scale which will allow gathering, enjoying shadows and living as any other city in the world; returning the public space its superiority over private and closed space such as Shopping Centers.
For this purpose, a basic and important program has been porposed, which includes a Catholic Cathedral, high cost living housing (lofts), a Civic Center, a small Contemporary Architecture Museum, as well as several plazas that reconfigure the new Center from within, leading the public open space to become the main object of the project.
1st PRIZE: US $ 3,000
Airfare to Miami for two, to attend the prize-giving ceremony and the winning proposals exhibition, within the AIA Convention (www.aiaconvention.com), to take place between June 10th to 12th, 2010.
Hotel accommodation for two in Miami, for three nights (June 10th, 11th and 12th, 2010).
- START OF COMPETITION: January 15th, 2010
- SPECIAL REGISTRATION January 15th to February 16th, 2010
- EARLY REGISTRATION From February 17th to March 16th, 2010
- LATE REGISTRATION From March 17th to April 14th, 2010
- REGISTRATION DEADLINE April 14th, 2010
- PROPOSAL SUBMISSION DEADLINE Until April 21th, 2010
- JURY EVALUATIONS: from April 23rd to May 7th, 20
- WINNERS ANNOUNCED: May 10th, 2010
- Special Registration: From January 15th to February 16th, 2010: US$ 100.00
- Early Registration: From February 17th to March 16th, 2010: US$150.00
- Late Registration: From March 17th to April 14th, 2010: US$ 200.00
+ info on website competition www.arquitectum.com