Papay Gyro Nights Art Festival and island Papa Westray (Papay) are proud to announce First Open International Architectural Competition "BONFIRE" - grassroots celebration of an ancient tradition of Bonfires and new ideas in architecture.
BONFIRE Competition is open to Architects and Students of Architecture worldwide.
The Bonfire Competition objective is:
- To construct and combust a fire at Orkney's festivities.
- To use fire as that which sustains. A unique combination of constructed order and combustible disorder. Conception vs. destruction.
- To be cognizant of the Second Law of Thermodynamics, reinforcing the intrinsic link between entropy and architecture, that which is plenary energy.
- To take into account the chief principals: Scale, Multiple levels of intensity and materials.
- To consider the history, culture and uniqueness of the Orkney Islands, their location at the top of the world - a place of alternating midnight suns and reigning darkness - lends special meaning to fire from the beginnings of the Orkney civilization to the present.
- To go through the process of building a fire to building a building with and for fire and all of its attendant meanings and myths.
- To Honor the fire that burns in your mind recognizing that Death is an endless birth.
ANNOUNCEMENT OF WINNER
Results will be announced in February 2013 at the special ceremony during Papay Gyro Nights 2013 Art Festival in Papa Westray, Orkney
+ info: www.bonfire.papawestray.org